Sunday, March 16, 2014

Banana Bread

This recipe makes very good muffins
My grandma's banana bread recipe is delicious and easy, and it is well loved by many members of my family.  In addition to the original recipe, below are also the ways my mom has adapted it to make it healthier.

3 mashed bananas (I usually toss my overripe bananas in the freezer for later bread use)
1 c sugar
1 Tbs milk or sour cream
1/2 margarine (I prefer to use butter)
2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt

Mix the first four ingredients in one bowl, and mix the flour, soda, and salt in another.  Once the ingredients are mixed, mix the wet and dry ingredients together.  This ensures that everything gets properly mixed without getting overworked.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  

Mom's healthier version:
Use up to 5 bananas (depending on size)
Substitute 1/2 c applesauce for butter
Substitute 2 c whole wheat flour for regular flour
Add 1/2 to 1 cup old fashioned oats

My mom usually makes hers into muffins.  This is great for built in portion control and makes a good hearty breakfast on the go.

You may also add cinnamon, vanilla, and/or walnuts for added flavor.  Enjoy!

Happy Baking,
Jillian




No comments:

Post a Comment