Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Key Lime Fish



Hello Dear Readers,

I apologize for being absent for a while, but I have been living up to being as busy as suggested in the title of this blog.  I went on a lovely vacation to the Florida Keys and I would like to share with you a delicious dish I had while I was there.  The name of the dish there was Key Lime Mahi, but since freshly caught mahi are scarce in the midwest, I will have to do with what I happen to have in the freezer.  I used talapia, but any mild white fish will work.  It wasn't quite the same as the mahi, and some effect was lost with the absence of a beautiful sub-tropical sunset, but it was still pretty good.

The recipe is as follows:

Your choice of (white) fish fillets
Juice of 1 lime
Scallions (I used about 3, sliced)
Shallot
Tomato
Dry white wine, about a 1/2 cup or so

I pretty much just threw everything in the pan and let it simmer.  I put 4 fillets in the pan, then put the rest of the ingredients on top, covered it, and then proceeded to do other kitchen chores while it simmered for a while (I also made some mashed potatoes to serve on the side).

What worked well:
The flavors mixed very well!  The fish was not too dry because it was simmering in the wine and stayed covered, so it stayed plenty moist.

What didn't work so well:
I would use more lime next time for that delicious citrus flavor.  I would also stagger the ingredients and add the shallots first and the scallions last.

Until next time,
Jillian





No comments:

Post a Comment