Sunday, January 18, 2015

Quick Personal Pizzas



Now of course the idea of personal pizzas did not originate with me, but I would still like to dedicate a post to them because they are a really nice thing to have in your recipe repertoire.  They can be a fast, delicious, very customizable, and reasonably healthy meal, fun for everyone involved.

I have very fond memories of making personalized pizza pockets growing up.  We used refrigerated pizza crust, added our favorite ingredients from the array of toppings we had already chopped and sliced, and each person put their initial on the top of the pizza pocket with pizza sauce so we would know which one was which.  It's very fun and meaningful for children to be involved with making food, and it's also fun for them to pick what goes on their food.

As an adult I take a bit of a healthier approach, and I have found that I like to make personal pizzas on whole wheat tortillas, whole wheat pitas, or naan bread (pictured above).  Top with whatever toppings you like--I like to load mine up with tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, marinated artichoke hearts, bell peppers, and a sprinkling of oregano.  If you wish to use sauce, pesto is a really excellent option.  For cheese, I usually use some sort of combination of fresh Parmesan, mozzarella, and/or feta cheese.

Bake at 350, on a pizza stone or pizza pan if you have one, until your toppings are done and your crust of choice is at your desired level of crispiness.  These pizzas make excellent leftovers, so when I make these for myself, I usually make two or three because they are very good reheated in the microwave.

That's Amore,
Jillian


No comments:

Post a Comment